Why licensed child care?
The latest brain research has given us a much clearer picture of how children learn and grow in their early years. During the early years of life, the brain is forming connections that help determine a lifetime of skills and potential. High-quality child care helps ensure healthy physical, emotional, social, and intellectual development.
The benefits of licensed child care include:
- Health and safety checks on the facilities. DEL staff visit child care centers at least once a year, and visit family home child care providers at least once every 12 months.
- Child development training
- First aid training
- CPR training
- Criminal background checks on the provider and staff (and household members of family home child care providers)
To ensure they meet state minimum health and safety standards, licensed child care providers follow specific rules about:
- The skills and training providers must have
- Who may be a child care provider
- How providers interact with children
- Child care staff to child ratios
- What children learn
- Safe food handling and preparation
- Safe storage of medicine, cleaning supplies and other toxins
- Safe indoor and outdoor play areas